Sunday, May 30, 2010

Attitude

Friday, eight thirty in the morning. 2 mile run for my diagnostic physical fitness test with the OU Army ROTC. My normal time is 12:20. My time that morning? 14:25. 13 minutes is the max. As you might figure out, I was very displeased and dissatisfied. Running post-dawn is one of my least favorite activities. Heat and humidity are not my friends.

It was at this that I remembered a lesson I learned several months ago while reading the book "How to Win and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. (Which on a side note I highly recommend for every individual, it is an indispensable read.) What is this lesson you might ask? It is simply the idea that,
Attitude creates action, but when attitude is inadequate, forced action will create attitude.


Simply put, my attitude was that running in humidity and heat is a pain. As a result, my action suffered. So I forced the action by running a mile every hour on the hour from nine in the morning till 2 in the afternoon. I have been enjoying the weather more and am finding running in the heat is easier now.

This idea of attitude is applicable in many circumstances. For instance, if an individual is having a difficulty with complaining or depression, turn on some worship music and just begin thanking God and praising Him for all that He has done. Continue until your attitude reflects your actions.

On a side note, when was the last time we as individuals have thanked our Heavenly Father or even our parents for what they've done for us? Just last year I recall thanking my dad for my bike. I use it on a continual basis and it has brought me great joy. It was given to me over 8 years ago...
Stop
Look around right now at everything you have, your family, friends, possessions, capabilities, do you still appreciate them? As cliche as it may be, your situation could always be worse, look around to our surrounding nations, look at Haiti, look at the slums in India, look at the persecution in China, we have it made. Let's show some appreciation for anything and everything shall we?

No comments: